- Correct the deprecation message when not specifying a --format so that it
uses the correct setting name (
format) rather than the incorrect one (
pip checkto check all available distributions and not just the local ones. (#4083)
- Fix a crash on non ASCII characters from lsb_release. (#4062)
- Fix an SyntaxError in an unused module of a vendored dependency. (#4059)
- Fix UNC paths on Windows. (#4064)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Remove the attempted autodetection of requirement
names from URLs, URLs must include a name via
pip install --egghave been deprecated and will be removed in the future. This "feature" has a long list of drawbacks which break nearly all of pip's other features in subtle and hard-to-diagnose ways.
- WARNING pip 9 cache can break forward compatibility with previous pip versions if your package repository allows chunked responses. (#4078)
- Add a
pip checkcommand to check installed packages dependencies. (#3750)
- Add option allowing user to abort pip operation if file/directory exists
- Add Appveyor CI
- Uninstall existing packages when performing an editable installation of the same packages. (#1548)
pip showis less verbose by default.
--verboseprints multiline fields. (#3858)
- Add optional column formatting to
pip list. (#3651)
pip list, which lists packages that are not dependencies of other packages.
- Fix builds on systems with symlinked
/tmpdirectory for custom builds such as numpy. (#3701)
- Fix regression in
pip freeze: when there is more than one git remote, priority is given to the remote named
origin. (#3708, #3616).
- Fix crash when calling
pip freezewith invalid requirement installed. (#3704, #3681)
- Allow multiple
pip freeze. (#3703)
- Implementation of pep-503
data-requires-python. When this field is present for a release link, pip will ignore the download when installing to a Python version that doesn't satisfy the requirement.
pip wheelnow works on editable packages too (it was only working on editable dependencies before); this allows running
pip wheelon the result of
pip freezein presence of editable requirements. (#3695, #3291)
- Load credentials from
.netrcfiles. (#3715, #3569)
pip download. These allow utilities and advanced users to gather distributions for interpreters other than the one pip is being run on. (#3760)
- Skip scanning virtual environments, even when venv/bin/python is a dangling symlink.
pip completionsupport for the
- Fix problems on Windows on Python 2 when username or hostname contains non-ASCII characters. (#3463, #3970, #4000)
git fetch --tagsto fetch tags in addition to everything else that is normally fetched; this is necessary in case a git requirement url points to a tag or commit that is not on a branch. (#3791)
- Normalize package names before using in
- Raise when Requires-Python do not match the running version and add
--ignore-requires-pythonoption as escape hatch. (#3846)
- Report the correct installed version when performing an upgrade in some corner cases. (#2382
- Do not optionally load C dependencies in requests. (#1840, #2930, #3024)
- Strip authentication from SVN url prior to passing it to
svn. (#3697, #3209)
- Also install in platlib with
--targetoption. (#3694, #3682)
- Restore the ability to use inline comments in requirements files passed to
pip freeze. (#3680)
- Fix a regression on systems with uninitialized locale. (#3575)
- Use environment markers to filter packages before determining if a required wheel is supported. (#3254)
- Make glibc parsing for manylinux1 support more robust for the variety of glibc versions found in the wild. (#3588)
- Update environment marker support to fully support PEP 508 and legacy environment markers. (#3624)
- Always use debug logging to the
- Don't attempt to wrap search results for extremely narrow terminal windows. (#3655)
- Fix regression with non-ascii requirement files on Python 2 and add support for encoding headers in requirement files. (#3548, #3547)
- Implement PEP 513, which adds support for the manylinux1 platform tag, allowing carefully compiled binary wheels to be installed on compatible Linux platforms.
- Allow wheels which are not specific to a particular Python interpreter but which are specific to a particular platform. (#3202)
- Fixed an issue where
call_subprocesswould crash trying to print debug data on child process failure. (#3521, #3522)
- Exclude the wheel package from the pip freeze output (like pip and setuptools). (#2989)
- Allow installing modules from a subdirectory of a vcs repository in non-editable mode. (#3217, #3466)
- Make pip wheel and pip download work with vcs urls with subdirectory option. (#3466)
- Show classifiers in
- Show PEP376 Installer in
pip show. (#3517)
- Unhide completion command. (#1810)
- Show latest version number in
pip searchresults. (#1415)
- Decode requirement files according to their BOM if present. (#3485, #2865)
- Fix and deprecate package name detection from url path. (#3523, #3495)
- Correct the behavior where interpreter specific tags (such as cp34) were being used on later versions of the same interpreter instead of only for that specific interpreter. (#3472)
- Fix an issue where pip would erroneously install a 64 bit wheel on a 32 bit Python running on a 64 bit macOS machine.
- Do not assume that all git repositories have an origin remote.
- Correctly display the line to add to a requirements.txt for an URL based
install --quietreally quiet. (#3418)
- Fix a bug when removing packages in python 3: disable INI-style parsing of the entry_point.txt file to allow entry point names with colons. (#3434)
- Normalize generated script files path in RECORD files. (#3448)
- Fix bug introduced in 8.0.0 where subcommand output was not shown,
even when the user specified
- Enable python -W with respect to PipDeprecationWarning. (#3455)
- Upgrade distlib to 0.2.2.
- Improved support for Jython when quoting executables in output scripts. (#3467)
- Add a --all option to pip freeze to include usually skipped package (like pip, setuptools and wheel) to the freeze output. (#1610)
- Stop attempting to trust the system CA trust store because it's extremely common for them to be broken, often in incompatible ways. (#3416)
- Detect CAPaths in addition to CAFiles on platforms that provide them.
- Installing argparse or wsgiref will no longer warn or error - pip will allow the installation even though it may be useless (since the installed thing will be shadowed by the standard library).
- Upgrading a distutils installed item that is installed outside of a virtual environment, while inside of a virtual environment will no longer warn or error.
- Fix a bug where pre-releases were showing up in
pip list --outdatedwithout the
- Switch the SOABI emulation from using RuntimeWarnings to debug logging.
- Rollback the removal of the ability to uninstall distutils installed items until a future date.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Drop support for Python 3.2.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Remove the ability to find any files other than the ones directly linked from the index or find-links pages.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Remove the
--download-cachewhich had been deprecated and no-op'd in 6.0.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Remove the
--log-explicit-levelswhich had been deprecated in 6.0.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Change pip wheel --wheel-dir default path from <cwd>/wheelhouse to <cwd>.
- Deprecate and no-op the
--allow-unverifiedfunctionality that was added as part of PEP 438. With changes made to the repository protocol made in PEP 470, these options are no longer functional.
--trusted-hostwithin a requirements file. (#2822)
--process-dependency-linkswithin a requirements file. (#1274)
--prewithin a requirements file. (#1273)
- Allow repository URLs with secure transports to count as trusted. (E.g., "git+ssh" is okay.) (#2811)
- Implement a top-level
pip downloadcommand and deprecate
pip install --download.
- When uninstalling, look for the case of paths containing symlinked directories (#3141, #3154)
- When installing, if building a wheel fails, clear up the build directory before falling back to a source install. (#3047)
- Fix user directory expansion when
HOME=/. Workaround for Python bug http://bugs.python.org/issue14768. (#2996)
- Correct reporting of requirements file line numbers. (#3009, #3125)
- Fixed Exception(IOError) for
pip listcommands with subversion >= 1.7. (#1062, #3346)
- Provide a spinner showing that progress is happening when installing or
building a package via
setup.py. This will alleviate concerns that projects with unusually long build times have with pip appearing to stall.
- Include the functionality of
peepinto pip, allowing hashes to be baked into a requirements file and ensuring that the packages being downloaded match one of those hashes. This is an additional, opt-in security measure that, when used, removes the need to trust the repository.
- Fix a bug causing pip to not select a wheel compiled against an OSX SDK later than what Python itself was compiled against when running on a newer version of OSX.
- Add a new
pip installthat supports wheels and sdists. (#3252)
- Fixed issue regarding wheel building with setup.py using a different encoding than the system. (#2042)
- Drop PasteScript specific egg_info hack. (#3270)
- Allow combination of pip list options --editable with --outdated/--uptodate. (#933)
- Gives VCS implementations control over saying whether a project is under their control. (#3258)
- Git detection now works when
setup.pyis not at the Git repo root and when
package_diris used, so
pip freezeworks in more cases. (#3258)
- Correctly freeze Git develop packages in presence of the &subdirectory option (#3258)
- The detection of editable packages now relies on the presence of
.egg-linkinstead of looking for a VCS, so
pip list -eis more reliable. (#3258)
- Add the
pip installwhich allows specifying a root prefix to use instead of
- Allow duplicate specifications in the case that only the extras differ, and union all specified extras together. (#3198)
- Fix the detection of the user's current platform on OSX when determining the OSX SDK version. (#3232)
- Prevent the automatically built wheels from mistakenly being used across multiple versions of Python when they may not be correctly configured for that by making the wheel specific to a specific version of Python and specific interpreter. (#3225)
- Emulate the SOABI support in wheels from Python 2.x on Python 2.x as closely as we can with the information available within the interpreter. (#3075)
- Don't roundtrip to the network when git is pinned to a specific commit hash and that hash already exists locally. (#3066)
- Prefer wheels built against a newer SDK to wheels built against an older SDK on OSX. (#3163)
- Show entry points for projects installed via wheel. (#3122)
- Improve message when an unexisting path is passed to --find-links option. (#2968)
- pip freeze does not add the VCS branch/tag name in the #egg=... fragment anymore. (#3312)
- Warn on installation of editable if the provided #egg=name part does not match the metadata produced by setup.py egg_info. (#3143)
- Add support for .xz files for python versions supporting them (>= 3.3). (#722)
- Don't raise an error if pip is not installed when checking for the latest pip version.
- Check that the wheel cache directory is writable before we attempt to write cached files to them.
- Move the pip version check until after any installs have been performed, thus removing the extraneous warning when upgrading pip.
- Added debug logging when using a cached wheel.
- Respect platlib by default on platforms that have it separated from purelib.
- Upgrade packaging to 15.3. - Normalize post-release spellings for rev/r prefixes.
- Upgrade distlib to 0.2.1. - Updated launchers to decode shebangs using UTF-8. This allows non-ASCII pathnames to be correctly handled. - Ensured that the executable written to shebangs is normcased. - Changed ScriptMaker to work better under Jython.
- Upgrade ipaddress to 1.0.13.
- Allow constraining versions globally without having to know exactly what will be installed by the pip command. (#2731)
- Accept --no-binary and --only-binary via pip.conf. (#2867)
--allow-all-externalwithin a requirements file.
- Fixed an issue where
--usercould not be used when
--prefixwas used in a distutils configuration file.
- Fixed an issue where the SOABI tags were not correctly being generated on Python 3.5.
- Fixed an issue where we were advising windows users to upgrade by directly executing pip, when that would always fail on Windows.
~to be expanded within a cache directory in all situations.
- Fixed a regression where
--no-cache-dirwould raise an exception. (#2855)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Revert the change (released in v7.0.0) that required quoting in requirements files around specifiers containing environment markers. (#2841)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Revert the accidental introduction of support for
options interleaved with requirements, version specifiers etc in
~in the cache directory when caching wheels. (#2816)
python -m pipinstead of
pipwhen recommending an upgrade command to Windows users.
- Don't build and cache wheels for non-editable installations from VCSs.
--allow-all-externalinside of a requirements.txt file, fixing a regression in 7.0.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Removed the deprecated
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Removed the deprecated
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Removed the deprecated
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE No longer implicitly support an insecure origin
origin, and instead require insecure origins be explicitly trusted with the
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Removed the deprecated link scraping that attempted to parse HTML comments for a specially formatted comment.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Requirements in requirements files containing
markers must now be quoted due to parser changes. For example, use
"SomeProject; python_version < '2.7'", not simply
SomeProject; python_version < '2.7'(#2697, #2725)
- get-pip.py now installs the "wheel" package, when it's not already installed. (#2800)
- Ignores bz2 archives if Python wasn't compiled with bz2 support. (#497)
--global-optionper requirement in requirement files. (#2537)
- Build Wheels prior to installing from sdist, caching them in the pip cache directory to speed up subsequent installs. (#2618)
- Allow fine grained control over the use of wheels and source builds. (#2699)
--use-wheelare deprecated in favour of new options
--only-binary. The equivalent of
- The use of
--build-optiondisable the use of wheels, and the autobuilding of wheels. (#2711, #2677)
- Improve logging when a requirement marker doesn't match your environment. (#2735)
- Removed the temporary modifications (that began in pip v1.4 when distribute
and setuptools merged) that allowed distribute to be considered a conflict to
pip install -U setuptoolswill no longer upgrade "distribute" to "setuptools". Instead, use
pip install -U distribute. (#2767)
- Only display a warning to upgrade pip when the newest version is a final release and it is not a post release of the version we already have installed. (#2766)
- Display a warning when attempting to access a repository that uses HTTPS when we don't have Python compiled with SSL support. (#2761)
- Allowing using extras when installing from a file path without requiring the use of an editable. (#2785)
- Fix an infinite loop when the cache directory is stored on a file system which does not support hard links. (#2796)
- Remove the implicit debug log that was written on every invocation, instead
users will need to use
--logif they wish to have one. (#2798)
- No longer ignore dependencies which have been added to the standard library, instead continue to install them.
- Fixes upgrades failing when no potential links were found for dependencies other than the current installation. (#2538, #2502)
- Use a smoother progress bar when the terminal is capable of handling it, otherwise fallback to the original ASCII based progress bar.
- Display much less output when pip install succeeds, because on success, users probably don't care about all the nitty gritty details of compiling and installing. When pip install fails, display the failed install output once instead of twice, because once is enough. (#2487)
- Upgrade the bundled copy of requests to 2.6.0, fixing CVE-2015-2296.
- Display format of latest package when using
pip list --outdated. (#2475)
- Don't use pywin32 as ctypes should always be available on Windows, using pywin32 prevented uninstallation of pywin32 on Windows. (PR #2467)
- Normalize the
--wheel-diroption, expanding out constructs such as
~when used. (#2441)
- Display a warning when an undefined extra has been requested. (#2142)
- Speed up installing a directory in certain cases by creating a sdist instead of copying the entire directory. (#2535)
- Don't follow symlinks when uninstalling files (#2552)
- Upgrade the bundled copy of cachecontrol from 0.11.1 to 0.11.2. (#2481, #2595)
- Attempt to more smartly choose the order of installation to try and install dependencies before the projects that depend on them. (#2616)
- Skip trying to install libraries which are part of the standard library. (#2636, #2602)
- Support arch specific wheels that are not tied to a specific Python ABI. (#2561)
- Output warnings and errors to stderr instead of stdout. (#2543)
- Adjust the cache dir file checks to only check ownership if the effective user is root. (#2396)
- Install headers into a per project name directory instead of all of them into the root directory when inside of a virtual environment. (#2421)
- Fix an issue where the
--downloadflag would cause pip to no longer use randomized build directories.
- Fix an issue where pip did not properly unquote quoted URLs which contain
characters like PEP 440's epoch separator (
- Fix an issue where distutils installed projects were not actually uninstalled and deprecate attempting to uninstall them altogether.
- Retry deleting directories in case a process like an antivirus is holding the directory open temporarily.
- Fix an issue where pip would hide the cursor on Windows but would not reshow it.
- Fix a regression where Numpy requires a build path without symlinks to properly build.
- Fix a broken log message when running
pip wheelwithout a requirement.
- Don't mask network errors while downloading the file as a hash failure.
- Properly create the state file for the pip version check so it only happens once a week.
- Fix an issue where switching between Python 3 and Python 2 would evict cached items.
- Fix a regression where pip would be unable to successfully uninstall a project without a normalized version.
- Continue the regression fix from 6.0.5 which was not a complete fix.
- Fix a regression with 6.0.4 under Windows where most commands would raise an
exception due to Windows not having the
- Fix an issue where ANSI escape codes would be used on Windows even though the Windows shell does not support them, causing odd characters to appear with the progress bar.
- Fix an issue where using -v would cause an exception saying
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting.
- Fix an issue where using -v with dependency links would cause an exception
TypeError: 'InstallationCandidate' object is not iterable.
- Fix an issue where upgrading distribute would cause an exception saying
TypeError: expected string or buffer.
- Show a warning and disable the use of the cache directory when the cache
directory is not owned by the current user, commonly caused by using
- Update PEP 440 support to handle the latest changes to PEP 440, particularly
the changes to
<Vso that they no longer imply
- Document the default cache directories for each operating system.
- Create the cache directory when the pip version check needs to save to it instead of silently logging an error.
- Fix a regression where the
-qflag would not properly suppress the display of the progress bars.
- Fix an issue where the implicit version check new in pip 6.0 could cause pip to block for up to 75 seconds if PyPI was not accessible.
- Fix an issue where the output saying that a package was installed would report the old version instead of the new version during an upgrade.
- Fix left over merge conflict markers in the documentation.
- Document the backwards incompatible PEP 440 change in the 6.0.0 changelog.
- Fix executable file permissions for Wheel files when using the distutils scripts option.
- Fix a confusing error message when an exceptions was raised at certain points in pip's execution.
- Fix the missing list of versions when a version cannot be found that matches the specifiers.
- Add a warning about the possibly problematic use of > when the given specifier doesn't match anything.
- Fix an issue where installing from a directory would not copy over certain directories which were being excluded, however some build systems rely on them.
- PROCESS Version numbers are now simply
X.Ywhere the leading
1has been dropped.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Dropped support for Python 3.1.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Removed the bundle support which was deprecated in 1.4. (#1806)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE File lists generated by pip show -f are now rooted at the location reported by show, rather than one (unstated) directory lower. (#1933)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE The ability to install files over the FTP protocol was accidentally lost in pip 1.5 and it has now been decided to not restore that ability.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE PEP 440 is now fully implemented, this means that in some cases versions will sort differently or version specifiers will be interpreted differently than previously. The common cases should all function similarly to before.
pip install --download-cacheand
pip wheel --download-cachecommand line flags have been deprecated and the functionality removed. Since pip now automatically configures and uses it's internal HTTP cache which supplants the
--download-cachethe existing options have been made non functional but will still be accepted until their removal in pip v8.0. For more information please see https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/reference/pip_install.html#caching
pip install --buildand
pip install --no-cleanare now NOT deprecated. This reverses the deprecation that occurred in v1.5.3. (#906)
- DEPRECATION Implicitly accessing URLs which point to an origin which is
not a secure origin, instead requiring an opt-in for each host using the new
pip install --trusted-host example.com foo).
- Allow the new
--trusted-hostflag to also disable TLS verification for a particular hostname.
- Added a
pip listto check the user site directory only.
- Silence byte compile errors when installation succeed. (#1873)
- Added a virtualenv-specific configuration file. (#1364)
- Added site-wide configuration files. (1978)
- Added an automatic check to warn if there is an updated version of pip available. (#2049)
- wsgiref and argparse (for >py26) are now excluded from pip list and pip freeze. (#1606, #1369)
--client-certoption for SSL client certificates. (#1424)
- pip show --files was broken for wheel installs. (#1635, #1484)
- install_lib should take precedence when reading distutils config. (#1642, #1641)
- Send Accept-Encoding: identity when downloading files in an attempt to convince some servers who double compress the downloaded file to stop doing so. (#1688)
- Stop breaking when given pip commands in uppercase (#1559, #1725)
- Pip no longer adds duplicate logging consumers, so it won't create duplicate output when being called multiple times. (#1618, #1723)
- pip wheel now returns an error code if any wheels fail to build. (#1769)
- pip wheel wasn't building wheels for dependencies of editable requirements. (#1775)
- Allow the use of
--no-use-wheelwithin a requirements file. (#1859)
- Attempt to locate system TLS certificates to use instead of the included CA Bundle if possible. (#1680, #1866)
- Allow use of Zip64 extension in Wheels and other zip files. (#1319, #1868)
- Properly handle an index or --find-links target which has a <base> without a href attribute. (#1101, #1869)
- Properly handle extras when a project is installed via Wheel. (#1885, #1896)
- Added support to respect proxies in
pip search. (#1180, #932, #1104, #1902)
- pip install --download works with vcs links. (#798, #1060, #1926)
- Disabled warning about insecure index host when using localhost. Based off of Guy Rozendorn's work in #1718. (#1456, #1967)
- Allow the use of OS standard user configuration files instead of ones simply
- When installing directly from wheel paths or urls, previous versions were not uninstalled. (#1825, #804, #1838)
- Detect the location of the
.egg-infodirectory by looking for any file located inside of it instead of relying on the record file listing a directory. (#2075, #2076)
- Use a randomized and secure default build directory when possible. (#1964, #1935, #676, #2122, CVE-2014-8991)
- Support environment markers in requirements.txt files. (#1433, #2134)
- Automatically retry failed HTTP requests by default. (#1444, #2147)
- Handle HTML Encoding better using a method that is more similar to how browsers handle it. (#1100, #1874)
- Reduce the verbosity of the pip command by default. (#2175, #2177, #2178)
- Fixed #2031 - Respect sys.executable on OSX when installing from Wheels.
- Display the entire URL of the file that is being downloaded when downloading from a non PyPI repository. (#2183)
- Support setuptools style environment markers in a source distribution. (#2153)
- Upgrade requests to 2.3.0 to fix an issue with proxies on Python 3.4.1. (#1821)
- Uninstall issues on debianized pypy, specifically issues with setuptools upgrades. (#1632, #1743)
- Update documentation to point at https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py for bootstrapping pip.
- Update docs to point to https://pip.pypa.io/
- Upgrade the bundled projects (distlib==0.1.8, html5lib==1.0b3, six==1.6.1, colorama==0.3.1, setuptools==3.4.4).
- Correct deprecation warning for
pip install --buildto only notify when the --build value is different than the default.
pip install --buildand
pip install --no-cleanare now deprecated. (#906)
- Fixed being unable to download directly from wheel paths/urls, and when wheel downloads did occur using requirement specifiers, dependencies weren't downloaded. (#1112, #1527)
pip wheelwas not downloading wheels that already existed. (#1320, #1524)
pip install --downloadwas failing using local
--find-links. (#1111, #1524)
- Workaround for Python bug http://bugs.python.org/issue20053. (#1544)
- Don't pass a unicode __file__ to setup.py on Python 2.x. (#1583)
- Verify that the Wheel version is compatible with this pip. (#1569)
- Upgraded the vendored
_markerlibto setuptools 2.1.
- Fixed an error that prevented accessing PyPI when pyopenssl, ndg-httpsclient, and pyasn1 are installed.
- Fixed an issue that caused trailing comments to be incorrectly included as part of the URL in a requirements file.
- pip now only requires setuptools (any setuptools, not a certain version) when installing distributions from src (i.e. not from wheel). (#1434)
- get-pip.py now installs setuptools, when it's not already installed. (#1475)
- Don't decode downloaded files that have a
- Fix to correctly parse wheel filenames with single digit versions. (#1445)
- If --allow-unverified is used assume it also means --allow-external. (#1457)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE pip no longer supports the
--mirrorsflags. The mirroring support has been removed. In order to use a mirror specify it as the primary index with
--index-url, or as an additional index with
--extra-index-url. (#1098, CVE-2013-5123)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE pip no longer will scrape insecure external urls by
default nor will it install externally hosted files by default. Users may opt
into installing externally hosted or insecure files or urls using
--allow-unverified PROJECT. (#1055)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE pip no longer respects dependency links by default.
Users may opt into respecting them again using
pip install --no-installand
pip install --no-downloadare now formally deprecated. See #906 for discussion on possible alternatives, or lack thereof, in future releases.
pip unzipare now formally deprecated.
- pip will now install Mac OSX platform wheels from PyPI. (PR #1278)
- pip now generates the appropriate platform-specific console scripts when installing wheels. (#1251)
- Pip now confirms a wheel is supported when installing directly from a path or url. (#1315)
--ignore-installednow behaves again as designed, after it was unintentionally broke in v0.8.3 when fixing #14. (#1097, #1352)
- Fixed a bug where global scripts were being removed when uninstalling --user installed packages. (#1353)
--userwasn't being respected when installing scripts from wheels. (#1163, #1176)
- Assume '_' means '-' in versions from wheel filenames. (#1150, #1158)
- Error when using --log with a failed install. (#219, #1205)
- Fixed logging being buffered and choppy in Python 3. (#1131)
- Don't ignore --timeout. (#70, #1202)
- Fixed an error when setting PIP_EXISTS_ACTION. (#772, #1201)
- Added colors to the logging output in order to draw attention to important warnings and errors. (#1109)
- Added warnings when using an insecure index, find-link, or dependency link. (#1121)
- Added support for installing packages from a subdirectory using the
subdirectoryeditable option. (#1082)
- Fixed "TypeError: bad operand type for unary" in some cases when installing wheels using --find-links. (#1192, #1218)
- Archive contents are now written based on system defaults and umask (i.e. permissions are not preserved), except that regular files with any execute permissions have the equivalent of "chmod +x" applied after being written. (#1133, #317, #1146)
- PreviousBuildDirError now returns a non-zero exit code and prevents the previous build dir from being cleaned in all cases. (#1162)
- Renamed --allow-insecure to --allow-unverified, however the old name will continue to work for a period of time. (#1257)
- Fixed an error when installing local projects with symlinks in Python 3. (#1006, #1311)
- The previously hidden
--log-fileoption, is now shown as a general option. (#1316)
- New Signing Key Release 1.4.1 is using a different key than normal with fingerprint: 7C6B 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372 DCFA
- Fixed issues with installing from pybundle files. (#1116)
- Fixed error when sysconfig module throws an exception. (#1095)
- Don't ignore already installed pre-releases. (#1076)
- Fixes related to upgrading setuptools. (#1092)
- Fixes so that --download works with wheel archives. (#1113)
- Fixes related to recognizing and cleaning global build dirs. (#1080)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE pip now only installs stable versions by default,
and offers a new
--preoption to also find pre-release and development versions. (#834)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Dropped support for Python 2.5. The minimum supported Python version for pip 1.4 is Python 2.6.
- Added support for installing and building wheel archives. Thanks Daniel Holth, Marcus Smith, Paul Moore, and Michele Lacchia (#845)
- Applied security patch to pip's ssl support related to certificate DNS wildcard matching (http://bugs.python.org/issue17980).
- To satisfy pip's setuptools requirement, pip now recommends setuptools>=0.8, not distribute. setuptools and distribute are now merged into one project called 'setuptools'. (#1003)
- pip will now warn when installing a file that is either hosted externally to the index or cannot be verified with a hash. In the future pip will default to not installing them and will require the flags --allow-external NAME, and --allow-insecure NAME respectively. (#985)
- If an already-downloaded or cached file has a bad hash, re-download it rather than erroring out. (#963)
pip bundleand support for installing from pybundle files is now considered deprecated and will be removed in pip v1.5.
- Fix a number of isses related to cleaning up and not reusing build directories. (#413, #709, #634, #602, #939, #865, #948)
- Added a User Agent so that pip is identifiable in logs. (#901)
- Added ssl and --user support to get-pip.py. Thanks Gabriel de Perthuis. (#895)
- Fixed the proxy support, which was broken in pip 1.3.x (#840)
- Fixed pip failing when server does not send content-type header. Thanks Hugo Lopes Tavares and Kelsey Hightower. (#32, #872)
- "Vendorized" distlib as pip.vendor.distlib (https://distlib.readthedocs.io/).
- Fixed git VCS backend with git 1.8.3. (#967)
- Fixed a major backward incompatible change of parsing URLs to externally hosted packages that got accidentally included in 1.3.
- SSL Cert Verification; Make https the default for PyPI access. Thanks James Cleveland, Giovanni Bajo, Marcus Smith and many others. (#791, CVE-2013-1629)
- Added "pip list" for listing installed packages and the latest version available. Thanks Rafael Caricio, Miguel Araujo, Dmitry Gladkov. (#752)
- Fixed security issues with pip's use of temp build directories. Thanks David (d1b) and Thomas Guttler. (#780, CVE-2013-1888)
- Improvements to sphinx docs and cli help. (#773)
- Fixed an issue dealing with macOS temp dir handling, which was causing global NumPy installs to fail. (#707, #768)
- Split help output into general vs command-specific option groups. Thanks Georgi Valkov. (#744, #721)
- Fixed dependency resolution when installing from archives with uppercase project names. (#724)
- Fixed problem where re-installs always occurred when using file:// find-links. (#683, #702)
- "pip install -v" now shows the full download url, not just the archive name. Thanks Marc Abramowitz (#687)
- Fix to prevent unnecessary PyPI redirects. Thanks Alex Gronholm (#695)
- Fixed an install failure under Python 3 when the same version of a package is found under 2 different URLs. Thanks Paul Moore (#670, #671)
- Fix git submodule recursive updates. Thanks Roey Berman. (#674)
- Explicitly ignore rel='download' links while looking for html pages. Thanks Maxime R. (#677)
- --user/--upgrade install options now work together. Thanks 'eevee' for discovering the problem. (#705)
- Added check in
install --downloadto prevent re-downloading if the target file already exists. Thanks Andrey Bulgakov. (#669)
- Added support for bare paths (including relative paths) as argument to --find-links. Thanks Paul Moore for draft patch.
- Added support for --no-index in requirements files.
- Added "pip show" command to get information about an installed package. Thanks Kelsey Hightower and Rafael Caricio. (#131)
- Added --root option for "pip install" to specify root directory. Behaves like the same option in distutils but also plays nice with pip's egg-info. Thanks Przemek Wrzos. (#253, #693)
- Fixed a regression introduced in 1.2 about raising an exception when not finding any files to uninstall in the current environment. Thanks for the fix, Marcus Smith.
- Dropped support for Python 2.4 The minimum supported Python version is now Python 2.5.
- Fixed pypi mirror support being broken on some DNS responses. Thanks philwhin. (#605)
- Fixed pip uninstall removing files it didn't install. Thanks pjdelport. (#355)
- Fixed a number of issues related to improving support for the user installation scheme. Thanks Marcus Smith. (#493, #494, #440, #573)
- Write failure log to temp file if default location is not writable. Thanks andreigc.
- Pull in submodules for git editable checkouts. Thanks Hsiaoming Yang and Markus Hametner. (#289, #421)
- Use a temporary directory as the default build location outside of a virtualenv. Thanks Ben Rosser. (#339, #381)
- Added support for specifying extras with local editables. Thanks Nick Stenning.
--eggflag to request egg-style rather than flat installation. Thanks Kamal Bin Mustafa. (#3)
- Prevent e.g.
gmpy2-2.0.tar.gzfrom matching a request to
pip install gmpy; sdist filename must begin with full project name followed by a dash. Thanks casevh for the report. (#510)
- Allow package URLS to have querystrings. Thanks W. Trevor King. (#504)
- pip freeze now falls back to non-editable format rather than blowing up if it can't determine the origin repository of an editable. Thanks Rory McCann. (#58)
- Added a __main__.py file to enable python -m pip on Python versions that support it. Thanks Alexey Luchko.
- Fixed upgrading from VCS url of project that does exist on index. Thanks Andrew Knapp for the report. (#487)
- Fix upgrade from VCS url of project with no distribution on index. Thanks Andrew Knapp for the report. (#486)
- Add a clearer error message on a malformed VCS url. Thanks Thomas Fenzl. (#427)
- Added support for using any of the built in guaranteed algorithms in
hashlibas a checksum hash.
- Raise an exception if current working directory can't be found or accessed. (#321)
- Removed special casing of the user directory and use the Python default instead. (#82)
- Only warn about version conflicts if there is actually one. This re-enables
==devin requirements files. (#436)
- Moved tests to be run on Travis CI: http://travis-ci.org/pypa/pip
- Added a better help formatter.
- Don't crash when a package's setup.py emits UTF-8 and then fails. Thanks Marc Abramowitz. (#326)
--targetoption for installing directly to arbitrary directory. Thanks Stavros Korokithakis.
- Added support for authentication with Subversion repositories. Thanks Qiangning Hong.
--downloadnow downloads dependencies as well. Thanks Qiangning Hong. (#315)
- Errors from subprocesses will display the current working directory. Thanks Antti Kaihola.
- Fixed compatibility with Subversion 1.7. Thanks Qiangning Hong. Note that setuptools remains incompatible with Subversion 1.7; to get the benefits of pip's support you must use Distribute rather than setuptools. (#369)
- Ignore py2app-generated macOS mpkg zip files in finder. Thanks Rene Dudfield. (#57)
- Log to ~/Library/Logs/ by default on macOS framework installs. Thanks Dan Callahan for report and patch. (#182)
- Understand version tags without minor version ("py3") in sdist filenames. Thanks Stuart Andrews for report and Olivier Girardot for patch. (#310)
- Pip now supports optionally installing setuptools "extras" dependencies; e.g. "pip install Paste[openid]". Thanks Matt Maker and Olivier Girardot. (#7)
- freeze no longer borks on requirements files with --index-url or --find-links. Thanks Herbert Pfennig. (#391)
- Handle symlinks properly. Thanks lebedov for the patch. (#288)
- pip install -U no longer reinstalls the same versions of packages. Thanks iguananaut for the pull request. (#49)
PIP_RESPECT_VIRTUALENV; both use a restart-in-venv mechanism that's broken, and neither one is useful since every virtualenv now has pip inside it. Replace
pip -E path/to/venv install Foowith
virtualenv path/to/venv && path/to/venv/pip install Foo.
- Fixed pip throwing an IndexError when it calls scraped_rel_links. (#366)
- pip search should set and return a useful shell status code. (#22)
- Added global
--exists-actioncommand line option to easier script file exists conflicts, e.g. from editable requirements from VCS that have a changed repo URL. (#351, #365)
- Fixed docs issues.
- Reinstall a package when using the
install -Ioption. (#295)
- Finds a Git tag pointing to same commit as origin/master. (#283)
- Use absolute path for path to docs in setup.py. (#279)
- Correctly handle exceptions on Python3. (#314)
- Correctly parse
--editablelines in requirements files. (#320)
- Start to use git-flow.
- find_command should not raise AttributeError. (#274)
- Respect Content-Disposition header. Thanks Bradley Ayers. (#273)
- pathext handling on Windows. (#233)
- svn+svn protocol. (#252)
- multiple CLI searches. (#44)
- Current working directory when running setup.py clean. (#266)
Added Python 3 support! Huge thanks to Vinay Sajip, Vitaly Babiy, Kelsey Hightower, and Alex Gronholm, among others.
Download progress only shown on a real TTY. Thanks Alex Morega.
Fixed finding of VCS binaries to not be fooled by same-named directories. Thanks Alex Morega.
Fixed uninstall of packages from system Python for users of Debian/Ubuntu python-setuptools package (workaround until fixed in Debian and Ubuntu).
Added get-pip.py installer. Simply download and execute it, using the Python interpreter of your choice:
$ curl -O https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py $ python get-pip.py
This may have to be run as root.
Make sure you have distribute installed before using the installer!
- Moved main repository to Github: https://github.com/pypa/pip
- Transferred primary maintenance from Ian to Jannis Leidel, Carl Meyer, Brian Rosner
- Fixed no uninstall-on-upgrade with URL package. Thanks Oliver Tonnhofer. (#14)
- Fixed egg name not properly resolving. Thanks Igor Sobreira. (#163)
- Fixed Non-alphabetical installation of requirements. Thanks Igor Sobreira. (#178)
- Fixed documentation mentions --index instead of --index-url. Thanks Kelsey Hightower (#199)
- rmtree undefined in mercurial.py. Thanks Kelsey Hightower. (#204)
- Fixed bug in Git vcs backend that would break during reinstallation.
- Fixed bug in Mercurial vcs backend related to pip freeze and branch/tag resolution.
- Fixed bug in version string parsing related to the suffix "-dev".
Avoid redundant unpacking of bundles (from pwaller)
Fixed checking out the correct tag/branch/commit when updating an editable Git requirement. (#32, #150, #161)
Added ability to install version control requirements without making them editable, e.g.:
pip install git+https://github.com/pypa/pip/
Correctly locate build and source directory on macOS. (#175)
git+https://scheme to Git VCS backend.
- Added global --user flag as shortcut for --install-option="--user". From Ronny Pfannschmidt.
- Added support for PyPI mirrors as defined in PEP 381, from Jannis Leidel.
- Fixed git revisions being ignored. Thanks John-Scott Atlakson. (#138)
- Fixed initial editable install of github package from a tag failing. Thanks John-Scott Atlakson. (#95)
- Fixed installing if a directory in cwd has the same name as the package you're installing. (#107)
- --install-option="--prefix=~/.local" ignored with -e. Thanks Ronny Pfannschmidt and Wil Tan. (#39)
- Track which
build/directories pip creates, never remove directories it doesn't create. From Hugo Lopes Tavares.
- Pip now accepts file:// index URLs. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- Various cleanup to make test-running more consistent and less fragile. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- Real Windows support (with passing tests). Thanks Dave Abrahams.
pip-2.7etc. scripts are created (Python-version specific scripts)
contrib/build-standalonescript creates a runnable
.zipform of pip, from Jannis Leidel
- Editable git repos are updated when reinstalled
- Fix problem with
.egg-info/directories are found.
- A number of VCS-related fixes for
pip freeze, from Hugo Lopes Tavares.
- Significant test framework changes, from Hugo Lopes Tavares.
- Set zip_safe=False to avoid problems some people are encountering where pip is installed as a zip file.
- Fixed opening of logfile with no directory name. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Temporary files are consistently cleaned up, especially after installing bundles, also from Alex Conrad.
- Tests now require at least ScriptTest 1.0.3.
- Fixed uninstallation on Windows
- Tab-complete names of installed distributions for
- Support tab-completion when there is a global-option before the subcommand.
- Install header files in standard (scheme-default) location when installing outside a virtualenv. Install them to a slightly more consistent non-standard location inside a virtualenv (since the standard location is a non-writable symlink to the global location).
- pip now logs to a central location by default (instead of creating
pip-log.txtall over the place) and constantly overwrites the file in question. On Unix and macOS this is
'$HOME/.pip/pip.log'and on Windows it's
'%HOME%\\pip\\pip.log'. You are still able to override this location with the
$PIP_LOG_FILEenvironment variable. For a complete (appended) logfile use the separate
'--log'command line option.
- Fixed an issue with Git that left an editable package as a checkout of a remote branch, even if the default behaviour would have been fine, too.
- Fixed installing from a Git tag with older versions of Git.
- Expand "~" in logfile and download cache paths.
- Speed up installing from Mercurial repositories by cloning without updating the working copy multiple times.
- Fixed installing directly from directories (e.g.
pip install path/to/dir/).
- Fixed installing editable packages with
- Don't print unwanted debug information when running the freeze command.
- Create log file directory automatically. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Make test suite easier to run successfully. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- Fixed "pip install ." and "pip install .."; better error for directory without setup.py. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Support Debian/Ubuntu "dist-packages" in zip command. Thanks duckx.
- Fix relative --src folder. Thanks Simon Cross.
- Handle missing VCS with an error message. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Added --no-download option to install; pairs with --no-install to separate download and installation into two steps. Thanks Simon Cross.
- Fix uninstalling from requirements file containing -f, -i, or --extra-index-url.
- Leftover build directories are now removed. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Fixed import error on Windows with regard to the backwards compatibility package
- Fixed uninstall when /tmp is on a different filesystem.
- Fixed uninstallation of distributions with namespace packages.
- Added support for the
http-staticschemes to the Mercurial and
ftpscheme to the Bazaar backend.
- Fixed uninstallation of scripts installed with easy_install.
- Fixed an issue in the package finder that could result in an infinite loop while looking for links.
- Fixed issue with
pip bundleand local files (which weren't being copied into the bundle), from Whit Morriss.
pip uninstalland uninstall-before upgrade (from Carl Meyer).
- Extended configurability with config files and environment variables.
- Allow packages to be upgraded, e.g.,
pip install Package==0.1then
pip install Package==0.2.
- Allow installing/upgrading to Package==dev (fix "Source version does not match target version" errors).
- Added command and option completion for bash and zsh.
- Extended integration with virtualenv by providing an option to automatically use an active virtualenv and an option to warn if no active virtualenv is found.
- Fixed a bug with pip install --download and editable packages, where directories were being set with 0000 permissions, now defaults to 755.
- Fixed uninstallation of easy_installed console_scripts.
- Fixed uninstallation on macOS Framework layout installs
- Fixed bug preventing uninstall of editables with source outside venv.
- Creates download cache directory if not existing.
- Fixed a couple little bugs, with git and with extensions.
- Added ability to override the default log file name (
pip-log.txt) with the environmental variable
- Made the freeze command print installed packages to stdout instead of
writing them to a file. Use simple redirection (e.g.
pip freeze > stable-req.txt) to get a file with requirements.
- Fixed problem with freezing editable packages from a Git repository.
- Added support for base URLs using
<base href='...'>when parsing HTML pages.
- Fixed installing of non-editable packages from version control systems.
- Fixed issue with Bazaar's bzr+ssh scheme.
- Added --download-dir option to the install command to retrieve package archives. If given an editable package it will create an archive of it.
- Added ability to pass local file and directory paths to
- Reduced the amount of console log messages when fetching a page to find a distribution was problematic. The full messages can be found in pip-log.txt.
--no-depsoption to install ignore package dependencies
--no-indexoption to ignore the package index (PyPI) temporarily
- Fixed installing editable packages from Git branches.
- Fixes freezing of editable packages from Mercurial repositories.
- Fixed handling read-only attributes of build files, e.g. of Subversion and Bazaar on Windows.
- When downloading a file from a redirect, use the redirected location's extension to guess the compression (happens specifically when redirecting to a bitbucket.org tip.gz file).
- Editable freeze URLs now always use revision hash/id rather than tip or branch names which could move.
- Fixed comparison of repo URLs so incidental differences such as presence/absence of final slashes or quoted/unquoted special characters don't trigger "ignore/switch/wipe/backup" choice.
- Fixed handling of attempt to checkout editable install to a non-empty, non-repo directory.
-ework better with local hg repositories
- Construct PyPI URLs the exact way easy_install constructs URLs (you might notice this if you use a custom index that is slash-sensitive).
- Improvements on Windows (from Ionel Maries Cristian).
- Fixed problem with not being able to install private git repositories.
pip zipzip all its arguments, not just the first.
- Fix some filename issues on Windows.
- Allow the
--extra-index-urloptions in requirements files.
- Fix the way bundle components are unpacked and moved around, to make bundles work.
-soption to allow the access to the global site-packages if a virtualenv is to be created.
- Fixed support for Subversion 1.6.
- Improved virtualenv restart and various path/cleanup problems on win32.
- Fixed a regression with installing from svn repositories (when not
- Fixes when installing editable packages that put their source in a
- Added support for editable packages created from Git, Mercurial and Bazaar repositories and ability to freeze them. Refactored support for version control systems.
- Do not use
sys.exit()from inside the code, instead use a return. This will make it easier to invoke programmatically.
- Put the install record in
Package.egg-info/installed-files.txt(previously they went in
- Fix a problem with
pip freezenot including
-e svn+when an svn structure is peculiar.
pip -Eto work with a virtualenv that uses a different version of Python than the parent environment.
- Fixed Win32 virtualenv (
- Search the links passed in with
- Detect zip files, even when the file doesn't have a
.zipextension and it is served with the wrong Content-Type.
- Installing editable from existing source now works, like
pip install -e some/path/will install the package in
some/path/. Most importantly, anything that package requires will also be installed by pip.
- Add a
pip un/zip, so you can avoid zipping files that are outside of where you expect.
- Fixed small problem that prevented using
pip.pywithout actually installing pip.
--upgrade, which would download and appear to install upgraded packages, but actually just reinstall the existing package.
- Fixed Windows problem with putting the install record in the right
place, and generating the
pipscript with Setuptools.
- Download links that include embedded spaces or other unsafe characters (those characters get %-encoded).
- Fixed use of URLs in requirement files, and problems with some blank lines.
- Turn some tar file errors into warnings.
- Renamed to
pip, and to install you now do
pip install PACKAGE
- Added command
pip zip PACKAGEand
pip unzip PACKAGE. This is particularly intended for Google App Engine to manage libraries to stay under the 1000-file limit.
- Some fixes to bundles, especially editable packages and when
creating a bundle using unnamed packages (like just an svn
- Added an option
--install-optionto pass options to pass arguments to
.svn/directories are no longer included in bundles, as these directories are specific to a version of svn -- if you build a bundle on a system with svn 1.5, you can't use the checkout on a system with svn 1.4. Instead a file
svn-checkout.txtis included that notes the original location and revision, and the command you can use to turn it back into an svn checkout. (Probably unpacking the bundle should, maybe optionally, recreate this information -- but that is not currently implemented, and it would require network access.)
- Avoid ambiguities over project name case, where for instance
MyPackage and mypackage would be considered different packages.
This in particular caused problems on Macs, where
mypackage/are the same directory.
- Added support for an environmental variable
$PIP_DOWNLOAD_CACHEwhich will cache package downloads, so future installations won't require large downloads. Network access is still required, but just some downloads will be avoided when using this.
- Always use
export) so that
tag_svn_revisionsettings give the revision of the package.
- Don't update checkouts that came from
- Improve error text when there are errors fetching HTML pages when seeking packages.
- Improve bundles: include empty directories, make them work with editable packages.
- If you use
-E envand the environment
env/doesn't exist, a new virtual environment will be created.
dependency_linksfor finding packages.
- Fixed a NameError exception when running pip outside of a virtualenv environment.
- Added HTTP proxy support (from Prabhu Ramachandran)
- Fixed use of
hashlib.md5on python2.5+ (also from Prabhu Ramachandran)
- Initial release