- No longer ignore dependencies which have been added to the standard library, instead continue to install them.
- Fixes #2502. Upgrades were failing when no potential links were found for dependencies other than the current installation. (PR #2538)
- Use a smoother progress bar when the terminal is capable of handling it, otherwise fallback to the original ASCII based progress bar.
- Display much less output when pip install succeeds, because on success, users probably don't care about all the nitty gritty details of compiling and installing. When pip install fails, display the failed install output once instead of twice, because once is enough. (PR #2487)
- Upgrade the bundled copy of requests to 2.6.0, fixing CVE-2015-2296.
- Display format of latest package when using pip list --outdated. (PR #2475)
- Don't use pywin32 as ctypes should always be available on Windows, using pywin32 prevented uninstallation of pywin32 on Windows. (PR #2467)
- Normalize the --wheel-dir option, expanding out constructs such as ~ when used (PR #2441).
- Display a warning when an undefined extra has been requested. (PR #2142)
- Speed up installing a directory in certain cases by creating a sdist instead of copying the entire directory. (PR #2535)
- Don't follow symlinks when uninstalling files (PR #2552)
- Upgrade the bundled copy of cachecontrol from 0.11.1 to 0.11.2. Fixes #2481 (PR #2595)
- Attempt to more smartly choose the order of installation to try and install dependencies before the projects that depend on them. (PR #2616)
- Skip trying to install libraries which are part of the standard library. (PR #2636, PR #2602)
- Support arch specific wheels that are not tied to a specific Python ABI. (PR #2561)
- Output warnings and errors to stderr instead of stdout. (PR #2543)
- Adjust the cache dir file checks to only check ownership if the effective user is root. (PR #2396)
- Install headers into a per project name directory instead of all of them into the root directory when inside of a virtual environment. (PR #2421)
- Fix an issue where the --download flag would cause pip to no longer use randomized build directories.
- Fix an issue where pip did not properly unquote quoted URLs which contain characters like PEP 440's epoch separator (!).
- Fix an issue where distutils installed projects were not actually uninstalled and deprecate attempting to uninstall them altogether.
- Retry deleting directories incase a process like an antivirus is holding the directory open temporarily.
- Fix an issue where pip would hide the cursor on Windows but would not reshow it.
- Fix a regression where Numpy requires a build path without symlinks to properly build.
- Fix a broken log message when running pip wheel without a requirement.
- Don't mask network errors while downloading the file as a hash failure.
- Properly create the state file for the pip version check so it only happens once a week.
- Fix an issue where switching between Python 3 and Python 2 would evict cached items.
- Fix a regression where pip would be unable to successfully uninstall a project without a normalized version.
- Continue the regression fix from 6.0.5 which was not a complete fix.
- Fix a regression with 6.0.4 under Windows where most commands would raise an exception due to Windows not having the os.geteuid() function.
- Fix an issue where ANSI escape codes would be used on Windows even though the Windows shell does not support them, causing odd characters to appear with the progress bar.
- Fix an issue where using -v would cause an exception saying TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting.
- Fix an issue where using -v with dependency links would cause an exception saying TypeError: 'InstallationCandidate' object is not iterable.
- Fix an issue where upgrading distribute would cause an exception saying TypeError: expected string or buffer.
- Show a warning and disable the use of the cache directory when the cache directory is not owned by the current user, commonly caused by using sudo without the -H flag.
- Update PEP 440 support to handle the latest changes to PEP 440, particularly the changes to >V and <V so that they no longer imply !=V.*.
- Document the default cache directories for each operating system.
- Create the cache directory when the pip version check needs to save to it instead of silently logging an error.
- Fix a regression where the -q flag would not properly suppress the display of the progress bars.
- Fix an issue where the implicit version check new in pip 6.0 could cause pip to block for up to 75 seconds if PyPI was not accessible.
- Make --no-index imply --disable-pip-version-check.
- Fix an issue where the output saying that a package was installed would report the old version instead of the new version during an upgrade.
- Fix left over merge conflict markers in the documentation.
- Document the backwards incompatible PEP 440 change in the 6.0.0 changelog.
- Fix executable file permissions for Wheel files when using the distutils scripts option.
- Fix a confusing error message when an exceptions was raised at certain points in pip's execution.
- Fix the missing list of versions when a version cannot be found that matches the specifiers.
- Add a warning about the possibly problematic use of > when the given specifier doesn't match anything.
- Fix an issue where installing from a directory would not copy over certain directories which were being excluded, however some build systems rely on them.
- PROCESS Version numbers are now simply X.Y where the leading 1 has been dropped.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Dropped support for Python 3.1.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Removed the bundle support which was deprecated in 1.4. (PR #1806)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE File lists generated by pip show -f are now rooted at the location reported by show, rather than one (unstated) directory lower. (PR #1933)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE The ability to install files over the FTP protocol was accidently lost in pip 1.5 and it has now been decided to not restore that ability.
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE PEP 440 is now fully implemented, this means that in some cases versions will sort differently or version specifiers will be interpreted differently than previously. The common cases should all function similarly to before.
- DEPRECATION pip install --download-cache and pip wheel --download-cache command line flags have been deprecated and the functionality removed. Since pip now automatically configures and uses it's internal HTTP cache which supplants the --download-cache the existing options have been made non functional but will still be accepted until their removal in pip v8.0. For more information please see https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/reference/pip_install.html#caching
- DEPRECATION pip install --build and pip install --no-clean are now NOT deprecated. This reverses the deprecation that occurred in v1.5.3. See #906 for discussion.
- DEPRECATION Implicitly accessing URLs which point to an origin which is not a secure origin, instead requiring an opt-in for each host using the new --trusted-host flag (pip install --trusted-host example.com foo).
- Allow the new --trusted-host flag to also disable TLS verification for a particular hostname.
- Added a --user flag to pip freeze and pip list to check the user site directory only.
- Fixed #1873. Silence byte compile errors when installation succeed.
- Added a virtualenv-specific configuration file. (PR #1364)
- Added site-wide configuation files. (PR #1978)
- Added an automatic check to warn if there is an updated version of pip available (PR #2049).
- wsgiref and argparse (for >py26) are now excluded from pip list and pip freeze (PR #1606, PR #1369)
- Fixed #1424. Add --client-cert option for SSL client certificates.
- Fixed #1484. pip show --files was broken for wheel installs. (PR #1635)
- Fixed #1641. install_lib should take precedence when reading distutils config. (PR #1642)
- Send Accept-Encoding: identity when downloading files in an attempt to convince some servers who double compress the downloaded file to stop doing so. (PR #1688)
- Fixed #1559. Stop breaking when given pip commands in uppercase (PR #1725)
- Fixed #1618. Pip no longer adds duplicate logging consumers, so it won't create duplicate output when being called multiple times. (PR #1723)
- Fixed #1769. pip wheel now returns an error code if any wheels fail to build.
- Fixed #1775. pip wheel wasn't building wheels for dependencies of editable requirements.
- Allow the use of --no-use-wheel within a requirements file. (PR #1859)
- Fixed #1680. Attempt to locate system TLS certificates to use instead of the included CA Bundle if possible. (PR #1866)
- Fixed #1319. Allow use of Zip64 extension in Wheels and other zip files. (PR #1868)
- Fixed #1101. Properly handle an index or --find-links target which has a <base> without a href attribute. (PR #1869)
- Fixed #1885. Properly handle extras when a project is installed via Wheel. (PR #1896)
- Fixed #1180. Added support to respect proxies in pip search. It also fixes #932 and #1104. (PR #1902)
- Fixed #798 and #1060. pip install --download works with vcs links. (PR #1926)
- Fixed #1456. Disabled warning about insecure index host when using localhost. Based off of Guy Rozendorn's work in PR #1718. (PR #1967)
- Allow the use of OS standard user configuration files instead of ones simply based around $HOME. (PR #2021)
- Fixed #1825. When installing directly from wheel paths or urls, previous versions were not uninstalled. This also fixes #804 specifically for the case of wheel archives. (PR #1838)
- Fixed #2075, detect the location of the .egg-info directory by looking for any file located inside of it instead of relying on the record file listing a directory. (PR #2076)
- Fixed #1964, #1935, #676, Use a randomized and secure default build directory when possible. (PR #2122, CVE-2014-8991)
- Fixed #1433. Support environment markers in requirements.txt files. (PR #2134)
- Automatically retry failed HTTP requests by default. (PR #1444, PR #2147)
- Fixed #1100 - Handle HTML Encoding better using a method that is more similar to how browsers handle it. (PR #1874)
- Reduce the verbosity of the pip command by default. (PR #2175, PR #2177, PR #2178)
- Fixed #2031 - Respect sys.executable on OSX when installing from Wheels.
- Display the entire URL of the file that is being downloaded when downloading from a non PyPI repository (PR #2183).
- Support setuptools style environment markers in a source distribution (PR #2153).
- Upgrade requests to 2.3.0 to fix an issue with proxies on Python 3.4.1 (PR #1821).
- Fixes #1632. Uninstall issues on debianized pypy, specifically issues with setuptools upgrades. (PR #1743)
- Update documentation to point at https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py for bootstrapping pip.
- Update docs to point to https://pip.pypa.io/
- Upgrade the bundled projects (distlib==0.1.8, html5lib==1.0b3, six==1.6.1, colorama==0.3.1, setuptools==3.4.4).
- Correct deprecation warning for pip install --build to only notify when the --build value is different than the default.
- DEPRECATION pip install --build and pip install --no-clean are now deprecated. See #906 for discussion.
- Fixed #1112. Couldn't download directly from wheel paths/urls, and when wheel downloads did occur using requirement specifiers, dependencies weren't downloaded (PR #1527)
- Fixed #1320. pip wheel was not downloading wheels that already existed (PR #1524)
- Fixed #1111. pip install --download was failing using local --find-links (PR #1524)
- Workaround for Python bug http://bugs.python.org/issue20053 (PR #1544)
- Don't pass a unicode __file__ to setup.py on Python 2.x (PR #1583)
- Verify that the Wheel version is compatible with this pip (PR #1569)
- Upgraded the vendored pkg_resources and _markerlib to setuptools 2.1.
- Fixed an error that prevented accessing PyPI when pyopenssl, ndg-httpsclient, and pyasn1 are installed
- Fixed an issue that caused trailing comments to be incorrectly included as part of the URL in a requirements file
- pip now only requires setuptools (any setuptools, not a certain version) when installing distributions from src (i.e. not from wheel). (PR #1434).
- get-pip.py now installs setuptools, when it's not already installed (PR #1475)
- Don't decode downloaded files that have a Content-Encoding header. (PR #1435)
- Fix to correctly parse wheel filenames with single digit versions. (PR #1445)
- If --allow-unverified is used assume it also means --allow-external. (PR #1457)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE pip no longer supports the --use-mirrors, -M, and --mirrors flags. The mirroring support has been removed. In order to use a mirror specify it as the primary index with -i or --index-url, or as an additional index with --extra-index-url. (PR #1098, CVE-2013-5123)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE pip no longer will scrape insecure external urls by default nor will it install externally hosted files by default. Users may opt into installing externally hosted or insecure files or urls using --allow-external PROJECT and --allow-unverified PROJECT. (PR #1055)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE pip no longer respects dependency links by default. Users may opt into respecting them again using --process-dependency-links.
- DEPRECATION pip install --no-install and pip install --no-download are now formally deprecated. See #906 for discussion on possible alternatives, or lack thereof, in future releases.
- DEPRECATION pip zip and pip unzip are now formally deprecated.
- pip will now install Mac OSX platform wheels from PyPI. (PR #1278)
- pip now generates the appropriate platform-specific console scripts when installing wheels. (PR #1251)
- Pip now confirms a wheel is supported when installing directly from a path or url. (PR #1315)
- Fixed #1097, --ignore-installed now behaves again as designed, after it was unintentionally broke in v0.8.3 when fixing #14 (PR #1352).
- Fixed a bug where global scripts were being removed when uninstalling --user installed packages (PR #1353).
- Fixed #1163, --user wasn't being respected when installing scripts from wheels (PR #1176).
- Fixed #1150, we now assume '_' means '-' in versions from wheel filenames (PR #1158).
- Fixed #219, error when using --log with a failed install (PR #1205).
- Fixed #1131, logging was buffered and choppy in Python 3.
- Fixed #70, --timeout was being ignored (PR #1202).
- Fixed #772, error when setting PIP_EXISTS_ACTION (PR #1201).
- Added colors to the logging output in order to draw attention to important warnings and errors. (PR #1109)
- Added warnings when using an insecure index, find-link, or dependency link. (PR #1121)
- Added support for installing packages from a subdirectory using the subdirectory editable option. ( PR #1082 )
- Fixed #1192. "TypeError: bad operand type for unary" in some cases when installing wheels using --find-links (PR #1218).
- Fixed #1133 and #317. Archive contents are now written based on system defaults and umask (i.e. permissions are not preserved), except that regular files with any execute permissions have the equivalent of "chmod +x" applied after being written (PR #1146).
- PreviousBuildDirError now returns a non-zero exit code and prevents the previous build dir from being cleaned in all cases (PR #1162).
- Renamed --allow-insecure to --allow-unverified, however the old name will continue to work for a period of time (PR #1257).
- Fixed #1006, error when installing local projects with symlinks in Python 3. (PR #1311)
- The previously hidden --log-file otion, is now shown as a general option. (PR #1316)
- New Signing Key Release 1.4.1 is using a different key than normal with fingerprint: 7C6B 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372 DCFA
- Fixed issues with installing from pybundle files (PR #1116).
- Fixed error when sysconfig module throws an exception (PR #1095).
- Don't ignore already installed pre-releases (PR #1076).
- Fixes related to upgrading setuptools (PR #1092).
- Fixes so that --download works with wheel archives (PR #1113).
- Fixes related to recognizing and cleaning global build dirs (PR #1080).
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE pip now only installs stable versions by default, and offers a new --pre option to also find pre-release and development versions. (PR #834)
- BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE Dropped support for Python 2.5. The minimum supported Python version for pip 1.4 is Python 2.6.
- Added support for installing and building wheel archives. Thanks Daniel Holth, Marcus Smith, Paul Moore, and Michele Lacchia (PR #845)
- Applied security patch to pip's ssl support related to certificate DNS wildcard matching (http://bugs.python.org/issue17980).
- To satisfy pip's setuptools requirement, pip now recommends setuptools>=0.8, not distribute. setuptools and distribute are now merged into one project called 'setuptools'. (PR #1003)
- pip will now warn when installing a file that is either hosted externally to the index or cannot be verified with a hash. In the future pip will default to not installing them and will require the flags --allow-external NAME, and --allow-insecure NAME respectively. (PR #985)
- If an already-downloaded or cached file has a bad hash, re-download it rather than erroring out. (#963).
- pip bundle and support for installing from pybundle files is now considered deprecated and will be removed in pip v1.5.
- Fixed a number of issues (#413, #709, #634, #602, and #939) related to cleaning up and not reusing build directories. (PR #865, #948)
- Added a User Agent so that pip is identifiable in logs. (PR #901)
- Added ssl and --user support to get-pip.py. Thanks Gabriel de Perthuis. (PR #895)
- Fixed the proxy support, which was broken in pip 1.3.x (PR #840)
- Fixed #32 - pip fails when server does not send content-type header. Thanks Hugo Lopes Tavares and Kelsey Hightower (PR #872).
- "Vendorized" distlib as pip.vendor.distlib (https://distlib.readthedocs.org/).
- Fixed git VCS backend with git 1.8.3. (PR #967)
- Fixed a major backward incompatible change of parsing URLs to externally hosted packages that got accidentily included in 1.3.
- SSL Cert Verification; Make https the default for PyPI access. Thanks James Cleveland, Giovanni Bajo, Marcus Smith and many others (PR #791, CVE-2013-1629).
- Added "pip list" for listing installed packages and the latest version available. Thanks Rafael Caricio, Miguel Araujo, Dmitry Gladkov (PR #752)
- Fixed security issues with pip's use of temp build directories. Thanks David (d1b) and Thomas Guttler. (PR #780, CVE-2013-1888)
- Improvements to sphinx docs and cli help. (PR #773)
- Fixed #707, dealing with OS X temp dir handling, which was causing global NumPy installs to fail. (PR #768)
- Split help output into general vs command-specific option groups. Thanks Georgi Valkov. (PR #744; PR #721 contains preceding refactor)
- Fixed dependency resolution when installing from archives with uppercase project names. (PR #724)
- Fixed problem where re-installs always occurred when using file:// find-links. (Pulls #683/#702)
- "pip install -v" now shows the full download url, not just the archive name. Thanks Marc Abramowitz (PR #687)
- Fix to prevent unnecessary PyPI redirects. Thanks Alex Gronholm (PR #695)
- Fixed #670 - install failure under Python 3 when the same version of a package is found under 2 different URLs. Thanks Paul Moore (PR #671)
- Fix git submodule recursive updates. Thanks Roey Berman. (Pulls #674)
- Explicitly ignore rel='download' links while looking for html pages. Thanks Maxime R. (PR #677)
- --user/--upgrade install options now work together. Thanks 'eevee' for discovering the problem. (PR #705)
- Added check in install --download to prevent re-downloading if the target file already exists. Thanks Andrey Bulgakov. (PR #669)
- Added support for bare paths (including relative paths) as argument to --find-links. Thanks Paul Moore for draft patch.
- Added support for --no-index in requirements files.
- Added "pip show" command to get information about an installed package. Fixes #131. Thanks Kelsey Hightower and Rafael Caricio.
- Added --root option for "pip install" to specify root directory. Behaves like the same option in distutils but also plays nice with pip's egg-info. Thanks Przemek Wrzos. (#253 / PR #693)
- Fixed a regression introduced in 1.2 about raising an exception when not finding any files to uninstall in the current environment. Thanks for the fix, Marcus Smith.
- Dropped support for Python 2.4 The minimum supported Python version is now Python 2.5.
- Fixed #605 - pypi mirror support broken on some DNS responses. Thanks philwhin.
- Fixed #355 - pip uninstall removes files it didn't install. Thanks pjdelport.
- Fixed issues #493, #494, #440, and #573 related to improving support for the user installation scheme. Thanks Marcus Smith.
- Write failure log to temp file if default location is not writable. Thanks andreigc.
- Pull in submodules for git editable checkouts. Fixes #289 and #421. Thanks Hsiaoming Yang and Markus Hametner.
- Use a temporary directory as the default build location outside of a virtualenv. Fixes issues #339 and #381. Thanks Ben Rosser.
- Added support for specifying extras with local editables. Thanks Nick Stenning.
- Added --egg flag to request egg-style rather than flat installation. Refs #3. Thanks Kamal Bin Mustafa.
- Fixed #510 - prevent e.g. gmpy2-2.0.tar.gz from matching a request to pip install gmpy; sdist filename must begin with full project name followed by a dash. Thanks casevh for the report.
- Fixed #504 - allow package URLS to have querystrings. Thanks W. Trevor King.
- Fixed #58 - pip freeze now falls back to non-editable format rather than blowing up if it can't determine the origin repository of an editable. Thanks Rory McCann.
- Added a __main__.py file to enable python -m pip on Python versions that support it. Thanks Alexey Luchko.
- Fixed #487 - upgrade from VCS url of project that does exist on index. Thanks Andrew Knapp for the report.
- Fixed #486 - fix upgrade from VCS url of project with no distribution on index. Thanks Andrew Knapp for the report.
- Fixed #427 - clearer error message on a malformed VCS url. Thanks Thomas Fenzl.
- Added support for using any of the built in guaranteed algorithms in hashlib as a checksum hash.
- Fixed #321 - Raise an exception if current working directory can't be found or accessed.
- Fixed #82 - Removed special casing of the user directory and use the Python default instead.
- Fixed #436 - Only warn about version conflicts if there is actually one. This re-enables using ==dev in requirements files.
- Moved tests to be run on Travis CI: http://travis-ci.org/pypa/pip
- Added a better help formatter.
- Fixed #326 - don't crash when a package's setup.py emits UTF-8 and then fails. Thanks Marc Abramowitz.
- Added --target option for installing directly to arbitrary directory. Thanks Stavros Korokithakis.
- Added support for authentication with Subversion repositories. Thanks Qiangning Hong.
- Fixed #315 - --download now downloads dependencies as well. Thanks Qiangning Hong.
- Errors from subprocesses will display the current working directory. Thanks Antti Kaihola.
- Fixed #369 - compatibility with Subversion 1.7. Thanks Qiangning Hong. Note that setuptools remains incompatible with Subversion 1.7; to get the benefits of pip's support you must use Distribute rather than setuptools.
- Fixed #57 - ignore py2app-generated OS X mpkg zip files in finder. Thanks Rene Dudfield.
- Fixed #182 - log to ~/Library/Logs/ by default on OS X framework installs. Thanks Dan Callahan for report and patch.
- Fixed #310 - understand version tags without minor version ("py3") in sdist filenames. Thanks Stuart Andrews for report and Olivier Girardot for patch.
- Fixed #7 - Pip now supports optionally installing setuptools "extras" dependencies; e.g. "pip install Paste[openid]". Thanks Matt Maker and Olivier Girardot.
- Fixed #391 - freeze no longer borks on requirements files with --index-url or --find-links. Thanks Herbert Pfennig.
- Fixed #288 - handle symlinks properly. Thanks lebedov for the patch.
- Fixed #49 - pip install -U no longer reinstalls the same versions of packages. Thanks iguananaut for the pull request.
- Removed -E/--environment option and PIP_RESPECT_VIRTUALENV; both use a restart-in-venv mechanism that's broken, and neither one is useful since every virtualenv now has pip inside it. Replace pip -E path/to/venv install Foo with virtualenv path/to/venv && path/to/venv/pip install Foo.
- Fixed #366 - pip throws IndexError when it calls scraped_rel_links
- Fixed #22 - pip search should set and return a userful shell status code
- Fixed #351 and #365 - added global --exists-action command line option to easier script file exists conflicts, e.g. from editable requirements from VCS that have a changed repo URL.
- Fixed docs issues.
- Fixed #295 - Reinstall a package when using the install -I option
- Fixed #283 - Finds a Git tag pointing to same commit as origin/master
- Fixed #279 - Use absolute path for path to docs in setup.py
- Fixed #314 - Correctly handle exceptions on Python3.
- Fixed #320 - Correctly parse --editable lines in requirements files
- Start to use git-flow.
- Fixed #274 - find_command should not raise AttributeError
- Fixed #273 - respect Content-Disposition header. Thanks Bradley Ayers.
- Fixed #233 - pathext handling on Windows.
- Fixed #252 - svn+svn protocol.
- Fixed #44 - multiple CLI searches.
- Fixed #266 - current working directory when running setup.py clean.
Added Python 3 support! Huge thanks to Vinay Sajip, Vitaly Babiy, Kelsey Hightower, and Alex Gronholm, among others.
Download progress only shown on a real TTY. Thanks Alex Morega.
Fixed finding of VCS binaries to not be fooled by same-named directories. Thanks Alex Morega.
Fixed uninstall of packages from system Python for users of Debian/Ubuntu python-setuptools package (workaround until fixed in Debian and Ubuntu).
Added get-pip.py installer. Simply download and execute it, using the Python interpreter of your choice:
$ curl -O https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py $ python get-pip.py
This may have to be run as root.
Make sure you have distribute installed before using the installer!
- Moved main repository to Github: https://github.com/pypa/pip
- Transferred primary maintenance from Ian to Jannis Leidel, Carl Meyer, Brian Rosner
- Fixed #14 - No uninstall-on-upgrade with URL package. Thanks Oliver Tonnhofer
- Fixed #163 - Egg name not properly resolved. Thanks Igor Sobreira
- Fixed #178 - Non-alphabetical installation of requirements. Thanks Igor Sobreira
- Fixed #199 - Documentation mentions --index instead of --index-url. Thanks Kelsey Hightower
- Fixed #204 - rmtree undefined in mercurial.py. Thanks Kelsey Hightower
- Fixed bug in Git vcs backend that would break during reinstallation.
- Fixed bug in Mercurial vcs backend related to pip freeze and branch/tag resolution.
- Fixed bug in version string parsing related to the suffix "-dev".
Avoid redundant unpacking of bundles (from pwaller)
Fixed #49 - Added ability to install version control requirements without making them editable, e.g.:
pip install git+https://github.com/pypa/pip/
Fixed #175 - Correctly locate build and source directory on Mac OS X.
Added git+https:// scheme to Git VCS backend.
- Added global --user flag as shortcut for --install-option="--user". From Ronny Pfannschmidt.
- Added support for PyPI mirrors as defined in PEP 381, from Jannis Leidel.
- Fixed #138 - Git revisions ignored. Thanks John-Scott Atlakson.
- Fixed #95 - Initial editable install of github package from a tag fails. Thanks John-Scott Atlakson.
- Fixed #107 - Can't install if a directory in cwd has the same name as the package you're installing.
- Fixed #39 - --install-option="--prefix=~/.local" ignored with -e. Thanks Ronny Pfannschmidt and Wil Tan.
- Track which build/ directories pip creates, never remove directories it doesn't create. From Hugo Lopes Tavares.
- Pip now accepts file:// index URLs. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- Various cleanup to make test-running more consistent and less fragile. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- Real Windows support (with passing tests). Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- pip-2.7 etc. scripts are created (Python-version specific scripts)
- contrib/build-standalone script creates a runnable .zip form of pip, from Jannis Leidel
- Editable git repos are updated when reinstalled
- Fix problem with --editable when multiple .egg-info/ directories are found.
- A number of VCS-related fixes for pip freeze, from Hugo Lopes Tavares.
- Significant test framework changes, from Hugo Lopes Tavares.
- Set zip_safe=False to avoid problems some people are encountering where pip is installed as a zip file.
- Fixed opening of logfile with no directory name. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Temporary files are consistently cleaned up, especially after installing bundles, also from Alex Conrad.
- Tests now require at least ScriptTest 1.0.3.
- Fixed uninstallation on Windows
- Added pip search command.
- Tab-complete names of installed distributions for pip uninstall.
- Support tab-completion when there is a global-option before the subcommand.
- Install header files in standard (scheme-default) location when installing outside a virtualenv. Install them to a slightly more consistent non-standard location inside a virtualenv (since the standard location is a non-writable symlink to the global location).
- pip now logs to a central location by default (instead of creating pip-log.txt all over the place) and constantly overwrites the file in question. On Unix and Mac OS X this is '$HOME/.pip/pip.log' and on Windows it's '%HOME%\\pip\\pip.log'. You are still able to override this location with the $PIP_LOG_FILE environment variable. For a complete (appended) logfile use the separate '--log' command line option.
- Fixed an issue with Git that left an editable packge as a checkout of a remote branch, even if the default behaviour would have been fine, too.
- Fixed installing from a Git tag with older versions of Git.
- Expand "~" in logfile and download cache paths.
- Speed up installing from Mercurial repositories by cloning without updating the working copy multiple times.
- Fixed installing directly from directories (e.g. pip install path/to/dir/).
- Fixed installing editable packages with svn+ssh URLs.
- Don't print unwanted debug information when running the freeze command.
- Create log file directory automatically. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Make test suite easier to run successfully. Thanks Dave Abrahams.
- Fixed "pip install ." and "pip install .."; better error for directory without setup.py. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Support Debian/Ubuntu "dist-packages" in zip command. Thanks duckx.
- Fix relative --src folder. Thanks Simon Cross.
- Handle missing VCS with an error message. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Added --no-download option to install; pairs with --no-install to separate download and installation into two steps. Thanks Simon Cross.
- Fix uninstalling from requirements file containing -f, -i, or --extra-index-url.
- Leftover build directories are now removed. Thanks Alexandre Conrad.
- Fixed import error on Windows with regard to the backwards compatibility package
- Fixed uninstall when /tmp is on a different filesystem.
- Fixed uninstallation of distributions with namespace packages.
- Added support for the https and http-static schemes to the Mercurial and ftp scheme to the Bazaar backend.
- Fixed uninstallation of scripts installed with easy_install.
- Fixed an issue in the package finder that could result in an infinite loop while looking for links.
- Fixed issue with pip bundle and local files (which weren't being copied into the bundle), from Whit Morriss.
- Add pip uninstall and uninstall-before upgrade (from Carl Meyer).
- Extended configurability with config files and environment variables.
- Allow packages to be upgraded, e.g., pip install Package==0.1 then pip install Package==0.2.
- Allow installing/upgrading to Package==dev (fix "Source version does not match target version" errors).
- Added command and option completion for bash and zsh.
- Extended integration with virtualenv by providing an option to automatically use an active virtualenv and an option to warn if no active virtualenv is found.
- Fixed a bug with pip install --download and editable packages, where directories were being set with 0000 permissions, now defaults to 755.
- Fixed uninstallation of easy_installed console_scripts.
- Fixed uninstallation on Mac OS X Framework layout installs
- Fixed bug preventing uninstall of editables with source outside venv.
- Creates download cache directory if not existing.
- Fixed a couple little bugs, with git and with extensions.
- Added ability to override the default log file name (pip-log.txt) with the environmental variable $PIP_LOG_FILE.
- Made the freeze command print installed packages to stdout instead of writing them to a file. Use simple redirection (e.g. pip freeze > stable-req.txt) to get a file with requirements.
- Fixed problem with freezing editable packages from a Git repository.
- Added support for base URLs using <base href='...'> when parsing HTML pages.
- Fixed installing of non-editable packages from version control systems.
- Fixed issue with Bazaar's bzr+ssh scheme.
- Added --download-dir option to the install command to retrieve package archives. If given an editable package it will create an archive of it.
- Added ability to pass local file and directory paths to --find-links, e.g. --find-links=file:///path/to/my/private/archive
- Reduced the amount of console log messages when fetching a page to find a distribution was problematic. The full messages can be found in pip-log.txt.
- Added --no-deps option to install ignore package dependencies
- Added --no-index option to ignore the package index (PyPI) temporarily
- Fixed installing editable packages from Git branches.
- Fixes freezing of editable packages from Mercurial repositories.
- Fixed handling read-only attributes of build files, e.g. of Subversion and Bazaar on Windows.
- When downloading a file from a redirect, use the redirected location's extension to guess the compression (happens specifically when redirecting to a bitbucket.org tip.gz file).
- Editable freeze URLs now always use revision hash/id rather than tip or branch names which could move.
- Fixed comparison of repo URLs so incidental differences such as presence/absence of final slashes or quoted/unquoted special characters don't trigger "ignore/switch/wipe/backup" choice.
- Fixed handling of attempt to checkout editable install to a non-empty, non-repo directory.
- Make -e work better with local hg repositories
- Construct PyPI URLs the exact way easy_install constructs URLs (you might notice this if you use a custom index that is slash-sensitive).
- Improvements on Windows (from Ionel Maries Cristian).
- Fixed problem with not being able to install private git repositories.
- Make pip zip zip all its arguments, not just the first.
- Fix some filename issues on Windows.
- Allow the -i and --extra-index-url options in requirements files.
- Fix the way bundle components are unpacked and moved around, to make bundles work.
- Adds -s option to allow the access to the global site-packages if a virtualenv is to be created.
- Fixed support for Subversion 1.6.
- Improved virtualenv restart and various path/cleanup problems on win32.
- Fixed a regression with installing from svn repositories (when not using -e).
- Fixes when installing editable packages that put their source in a subdirectory (like src/).
- Improve pip -h
- Added support for editable packages created from Git, Mercurial and Bazaar repositories and ability to freeze them. Refactored support for version control systems.
- Do not use sys.exit() from inside the code, instead use a return. This will make it easier to invoke programmatically.
- Put the install record in Package.egg-info/installed-files.txt (previously they went in site-packages/install-record-Package.txt).
- Fix a problem with pip freeze not including -e svn+ when an svn structure is peculiar.
- Allow pip -E to work with a virtualenv that uses a different version of Python than the parent environment.
- Fixed Win32 virtualenv (-E) option.
- Search the links passed in with -f for packages.
- Detect zip files, even when the file doesn't have a .zip extension and it is served with the wrong Content-Type.
- Installing editable from existing source now works, like pip install -e some/path/ will install the package in some/path/. Most importantly, anything that package requires will also be installed by pip.
- Add a --path option to pip un/zip, so you can avoid zipping files that are outside of where you expect.
- Add --simulate option to pip zip.
- Fixed small problem that prevented using pip.py without actually installing pip.
- Fixed --upgrade, which would download and appear to install upgraded packages, but actually just reinstall the existing package.
- Fixed Windows problem with putting the install record in the right place, and generating the pip script with Setuptools.
- Download links that include embedded spaces or other unsafe characters (those characters get %-encoded).
- Fixed use of URLs in requirement files, and problems with some blank lines.
- Turn some tar file errors into warnings.
- Renamed to pip, and to install you now do pip install PACKAGE
- Added command pip zip PACKAGE and pip unzip PACKAGE. This is particularly intended for Google App Engine to manage libraries to stay under the 1000-file limit.
- Some fixes to bundles, especially editable packages and when creating a bundle using unnamed packages (like just an svn repository without #egg=Package).
- Added an option --install-option to pass options to pass arguments to setup.py install
- .svn/ directories are no longer included in bundles, as these directories are specific to a version of svn -- if you build a bundle on a system with svn 1.5, you can't use the checkout on a system with svn 1.4. Instead a file svn-checkout.txt is included that notes the original location and revision, and the command you can use to turn it back into an svn checkout. (Probably unpacking the bundle should, maybe optionally, recreate this information -- but that is not currently implemented, and it would require network access.)
- Avoid ambiguities over project name case, where for instance MyPackage and mypackage would be considered different packages. This in particular caused problems on Macs, where MyPackage/ and mypackage/ are the same directory.
- Added support for an environmental variable $PIP_DOWNLOAD_CACHE which will cache package downloads, so future installations won't require large downloads. Network access is still required, but just some downloads will be avoided when using this.
- Always use svn checkout (not export) so that tag_svn_revision settings give the revision of the package.
- Don't update checkouts that came from .pybundle files.
- Improve error text when there are errors fetching HTML pages when seeking packages.
- Improve bundles: include empty directories, make them work with editable packages.
- If you use -E env and the environment env/ doesn't exist, a new virtual environment will be created.
- Fix dependency_links for finding packages.
- Fixed a NameError exception when running pip outside of a virtualenv environment.
- Added HTTP proxy support (from Prabhu Ramachandran)
- Fixed use of hashlib.md5 on python2.5+ (also from Prabhu Ramachandran)
- Initial release